This society provides a welcoming environment for Africans, African descendants, and non-Africans to broaden understanding of Africa at Montana State University, and provide inter-cultural exchange for education and unity.
President: Ms. Patricia Mathabe
Vice Presidents: Dr Wigganson Matandiko and Mr Herve Kundulo
Project Co-ordinator: Dr Julio Benavides
Website Developer: Dr Stephen Durbin
Treasurer: Mr David Mantha
Secretary: Mrs. Rebecca Bodenham
Professional Photographer: Mr Alex Garcia Ruiz
We, the African students of Montana State University – Bozeman, having recognized the need to unite under one umbrella for mutual edification, promote the general welfare of ourselves, to provide intercultural exchange and Pan- Africanism, do ordain and establish this constitution for the (Name of Group). This Constitution, from this day forward, is binding on all members and shall be the document of last resort in case of conflicts, disagreements and the like.
An association/society is hereby established to express and manifest the aspirations and challenges of African students of MSU-Bozeman.
The name of the Association shall be NAME OF GROUP.
DEFINITION OF TERMS/INTERPRETATION
For the purposes of this document the following definitions shall apply:
- “Society” shall mean “Montana State University students and the Bozeman community having common interest” to grow the African Society at Montana State University
- “Central Executive Committee” shall mean “the supreme body of the association elected in terms of this Constitution” that oversees the society.
- “Active member” shall mean “students and the community participating in the activities” of the Society.
- “Member” shall mean “a Masters or Doctoral candidate, undergraduate student, faculty at Montana State University and any community member” in Bozeman, MT.
- “Patron” shall mean “the people with interest in the affairs” of the Society as defined in the terms of this constitution.
- “Legal Adviser” shall mean “people appointed by the Central Executive Committee to advice” the association on legal issues.
- “Faculty Advisor” shall mean “Faculty member at Montana State University chosen by members of the society to advice” on members and society conduct.
- “MSU” shall mean “Montana State University”.
- “ASAMSU” shall mean “African Society At Montana State University”
3.1. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
3.1.1 To unite, represent and advance African undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students in promoting their interest in intellectual and cultural affairs and / or interaction.
3.1.2 To facilitate the creation of an environment that promotes general intellectual debate across disciplines.
3.1.3 To provide a forum for the exchange of views and ideas among academics, administrators, the student representative bodies, and members through meetings, seminars and debates besides that of being a forum for African Students to articulate and express themselves.
3.1.4 To promote research culture and good working relations with various structures at Montana State University through diplomatic tact, but with candor.
3.1.5 To conduct the affairs of the society with maturity from a broad knowledge and competency so that the society is recognized as a structure capable of playing a role in decision making platforms / committees at Montana State University (MSU) and anywhere else.
3.1.6 To stimulate research interest amongst the members within or outside MSU with the benefit of problem solving that will alleviate human suffering.
3.1.7 To facilitate incremental representation and participation of Student exchange programs between American and African Universities.
3.1.8 To foster a culture of mentorship by inviting leaders with impeccable standing to make presentations to the society and community at large so as to prepare the members for future roles in leadership positions.
3.1.9 To promote social and cultural awareness as a way of becoming interconnected and thereby prepare the members in dealing with global cross cultural challenges.
3.1.10 To project the true image of Africa without fear or partiality.
3.1.11 To do all such other lawful things as may from time to time be incidental or conducive to the attainment of any or all of the above objectives.
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF MEMBERS
- Open to all registered students of MSU and the Bozeman community.
- By virtue of being a registered student and a Bozeman community member, until further notice, no membership fees shall be charged.
- Members shall actively support the aims and objectives of the society by attending and participating in all meetings and assisting in all activities of the Society.
- Members shall uphold the good name of the Society and shall conduct themselves in a manner conducive to the aims and objectives of the association and ethics MSU.
- Members shall have the right to be informed on all issues affecting the association and the Secretary shall be duty-bound to respond positively to such requests.
- All members have voting rights and voting shall be on the basis of one member, one vote.
- All members shall have the right to vote on all matters pertaining to the administration of the Society.
- In case of a dead lock on any issue, the Executive committee shall vote. If there is a tie, a chairperson shall make the final decision.
5.1. ADMINISTRATION OF THE ASSOCIATION
The society consists of an Executive Committee. The management of the affairs of the Association shall rest with the following bodies:
5.1.1. The Annual General Meeting;
5.1.2. The General Meeting (Monthly Meetings);
5.1.3. The Special Meeting (Emergency);
5.1.4. The Central Executive Committee meeting
6.0. THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
6. 1. GENERAL
6.1.1. The Annual General Meeting shall be the highest governing body of the society.
6.1.2. Decisions taken at the Annual General Meeting shall be final and binding.
6.2. FUNCTIONS OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
6.2.1. To receive and consider minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting and any other matters arising thereof.
6.2.2. To ratify decisions taken by the Executive Committee.
6.2.3. To ratify the society’s annual report and budget.
6.2.4. To ratify any motions or amendments to the provisions of this Constitution.
6.2.5 To elect officers nominated to the Executive Committee.
6.3. COMPOSITION OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The Annual General Meeting shall compose of:
6.3.1. All members, Patrons and Legal Advisers;
6.3.2. The Executive Committee;
6.3.3. The affiliate Branch Committee (if any);
6.4. CONVENING OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
6.4.1. The Annual General Meeting shall be convened by a “Notice of Meeting” circulated not less than twenty-one days before the proposed date of the meeting.
6.4.2. The “Notice of Meeting” shall state the date and venue of the meeting and list the agenda of all business to be deliberated at the meeting.
6.4.3. Fifty percent of all active members shall constitute a quorum for the Annual General Meeting.
6.4.4 Annual General Meeting shall be postponed to a date to be determined by the Executive Committee if there are not enough members to form a quorum.
6.4.5. The Executive Committee shall convene the Annual General Meeting.
*Medium of communication at all meetings shall be English. Where need arises members may express themselves in a language of their choice on condition that there is interpretation of what is being conveyed to English.
8.0. THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
8.1.1 The day to day administration of the society shall be monitored and evaluated by the Executive Committee.
8.1.2. The Executive Committee shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting and shall hold office for a period of twelve (12) months.
8.2. COMPOSITION OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee shall be composed of the following:
8.2.1. The President – Chairperson;
8.2.2. The Vice- President – Vice-Chair;
8.2.3. The Treasurer;
8.2.4. The Society clerk / Secretary
8.2.5. The Publicity / Public relations Coordinator.
8.2.6. The Welfare Coordinator
8.2.7. The Activities / Catering Coordinator
8.2.8. Any other as shall be recommended by the Executive
8.2.9. Ex-officio members
8.3 FUNCTIONS OF THE CENTRAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
8.3.1. To manage and account for the Society’s assets and activities.
8.3.2. To prepare the annual reports for the Annual General Meeting.
8.3.3. To convene Annual General Meetings, Executive Committee Meetings, and Special Executive Committee Meetings.
8.3.4. To co-ordinate the activities of the Society.
8.3.5. To prepare and recommend proposed annual budget.
8.3.6. To represent members at any meetings or proceedings called by Montana State University (MSU) management and / or any other student body.
8.3.7. To engage MSU management in issues relating to the Society’s annual program of activities.